Sunday, October 28, 2007

Today I gave away tickets to Caribou. If you didn't win them but still want to go I believe Ditch still has tickets. There were a few new things on the show this week that I have been looking forward to hearing for a while. Notably, the brand new Magic Weapon EP titled Residue Hymns. Hopefully you made it out early enough on Friday night to catch them opening for Sunset Rubdown. On the last Magic Weapon EP the group was made up of Jordan Robson-Cramer and Mathieu Malouf. This time around we see the group taking the form of the JRC and Matt Shane (of Think About Life) on drums. There is also some guitar action here and there from Shapes and Sizes dude Rory Seydel. Maybe you know these people because they are all former Victoria dudes who now call Montreal home. As a whole Residue Hymns is a lot better recorded which makes it less noisy and dissonant than the EP that preceded it. This is all very nicely packaged with artwork by Matt Shane. Ditch might have some copies, otherwise you can get in touch with Magic Weapon and work something out.

Also new and exciting, the brand new Saturday Looks Good to Me album Fill Up the Room. This release sees the band making its debut on K Records along with a few lineup changes.

Also noteworthy is the album from Hey Everyone called Broken Horse. This is a group I was introduced to right before my show and I really can't find out much about them. As far as I can tell they are from somewhere in the interior of BC. They sent CFUV their CD recently and I have been really enjoying it. If you know anything else about them I'd love to know.

Playlist

Artist - Album - Song
Windon Earle - Gold Wave - Kitten vs. Pegasus
Magic Weapon - Residue Hymns - Charles (The Red One)
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Etiquette - Young Shields
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala - The Opposite of Hallelujah
Hey Everyone - Broken Horse - The Sun Shines On
(Weather Report) Bob Wiseman - It's True - What's Wrong With This Picture
Jenny Omnichord - Cities of Gifts and Ghosts - Nintendo City
Saturday Looks Good to Me - Fill Up the Room - Edison Girls
Caribou - Andorra - Melody Day
The Diableros - Aren't Ready for the Country - Telepathic Love
Vermicious Knid - Smalltown Devotion / Hometown Compulsion - Pop Ideal
Burr - Mixed CD from Victoria Mixed Tape Exchange - This Song is the Single and the Single Sucks
The Phonemes - There's Something We've Been Meaning to Do - Oh Sleep

3 comments:

oldlife said...

I'm glad that you got my CD, Ryan. Sorry that my printing is illegible. The Song is the Single is actually by Barr. And sorry that it's kind of a mopey mix.

Andrew (Lake Country) was the one who got your mix (with the Lake Country song).

nevin said...

I like that mopey mix I got. Know what I like most about it? The field recordings. And the leaves. I'm glad Andrew got mine, though it is kind of embarrasing that it has one of his songs on it.

Eva said...

Hey there,
I'm in Hey Everyone, I'm glad you like our album. We are indeed from the interior, Prince George to be exact. Don't know what else to tell you about us, if you have any other questions please email me.
Eva